Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites. Using open source technologies, Chromatic is a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We’re looking for an outgoing and motivated developer to join our fully distributed team. We need someone with exceptional communication skills who would be excited to join a talented and tight-knit team in our compelling saga to rid the world of bad websites. A strong portfolio of your best work should be included with your application.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with clients and Chromatic team members on engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting, and advice.
- Participate in and contribute to peer code reviews and project stand-ups.
- Evangelize development/process best practices to Chromatic’s clients and the community.
- Engage with the open-source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Estimating the effort required to implement technical functionality.
- Attending client on-sites.
- The ability to present yourself to others in a way that represents Chromatic well.
- PHP and general application development experience.
- Strong Drupal development experience.
- Object-oriented development.
- Creation of and adherence to best practices.
- REST web services.
- Responsive web and/or mobile applications.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic thinker that often anticipates problems before they occur.
- Live between GMT-10 and GMT+2 timezones.
Nice to Have
- Open source/Drupal.org project experience.
- CSS preprocessors.
- Task runners.
- Git and GitHub pull request/code review workflows.
- Agile project management methodologies.
If you are on the fence about any of the individual job requirements but feel as though you are qualified and would be a good fit for this position, please apply! Willingness to learn, collaborative work style, and core value alignment is much more important to us than checking off boxes. Your application is welcome.
Some other important traits
- Chromatic is a completely distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Serious candidates will be sure to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it!
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is best for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective so they’ll do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible workweek schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.
Benefits & Perks
- Paid Time Off: Chromatic offers PTO as follows:
- At hire: 15 days
- 2 years: 20 days
- 5 years: 22 days
- 7 years: 22 days + Sabbatical (see below)
- 10 years: 25 days
- In addition to these PTO days, Chromatic offers 5 Sick Days per year and additional time off for events such as jury duty, bereavement, parental leave, and paid holidays.
- Holidays: Chromatic is closed on the following US holidays:
- New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day
- MLK Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day & Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Sabbaticals: Chromatic offers a 4-week sabbatical to all full-time employees after their seventh anniversary. Our sabbaticals are intended to allow team members extended time to rest both their bodies and their minds away from work and outside of normal vacation/PTO time and are accompanied by a generous sabbatical stipend.
- Parental Leave: Chromatic offers the first two weeks of parental leave at 100% pay, and the next 2 weeks of parental leave at 50% pay.
- Health Insurance: Chromatic provides competitive medical/dental/vision insurance through United Healthcare, covering 100% of the cost for employees and 25% of the cost for dependents.
- Disability Insurance: Chromatic offers both short and long-term disability insurance.
- Life Insurance: All employees are provided with a term life insurance policy.
- 401(k): Chromatic provides employees a 401(k) plan with a 4% employer contribution (no match required) and immediate vesting.
- Donation Matching: Chromatic is proud to offer a Donation Matching Program for our team members. We will match donations to a 501(c)3 organization dollar for dollar, up to $50 per month for a total of $600 annually.
- Hardware: Chromatic encourages our team members to choose the system that they prefer and we ensure everyone has up-to-date equipment/software.
- Book Allowance: Chromatic supports building your skills - and your library - and grants each team member an annual book allowance.
- Conferences: Chromatic frequently sends team members to attend and speak at industry conferences. Employees are encouraged to seek out conference opportunities to grow their skills and personal networks.
- Company Retreat: Once a year, we gather the entire company to spend quality time together away from our desks – usually somewhere quite beautiful.
- National Parks Pass: In between retreats explore your country’s beautiful scenery with a park pass on Chromatic.
- Streaming Music Subscription: Music is important to us; we provide a Spotify subscription (or your preferred equivalent) for all of our employees.
Chromatic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Chromatic is happy to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require any such services, please reach out to email@example.com.