Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites. Using open source technologies, Chromatic is a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
As a digital project manager, you’re the nucleus of the project team. You’ll collaborate with designers, developers, content writers, contractors, and other project leads to keep Chromatic projects healthy, happy, and on track towards their goals. You’ll also work directly with our clients to help define business goals, set project requirements, and control project scope. As project lead, you’ll manage stakeholder expectations and regularly report on the progress of project budgets, outcomes, and tasks.
Project managers at Chromatic support project team members by running meetings, helping them get unblocked, and facilitating success in all aspects of the project lifecycle. Above all, project managers must be flexible. Iteration is a core part of our jobs. We must evolve to the current project landscape, the industry, and the world. And most importantly, we iterate and grow ourselves. As good project leads, we are constantly learning, improving, and growing.
- Manager: Lina Calin: Head of Project Management.
- Timeline: We hope to fill this position by the end of December, or sooner.
The right person for this role...
- Has proven work experience (at least 2-3 years) as a project manager or project coordinator (or similar role) within digital services.
- Can deftly manage their time while juggling multiple initiatives at once.
- Is adaptable, resourceful, and an experienced problem solver.
- Is comfortable setting clear boundaries, liaising, and negotiating with the team, decision makers, contractors, vendors, and clients.
- Has a special skill for organizing and planning.
- Has excellent communication skills–both written and verbal–and relationship-building skills.
- Has a keen attention to detail.
- Is never afraid to ask questions.
- Learns to anticipate client and team needs.
- Is self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Is comfortable leading discussions, even the hard ones.
- Has hands-on experience with task management systems such as Jira, Asana, or GitHub.
- Is eager to learn and passionate about constantly improving.
In this role you will:
- Plan projects to ensure that they delight the client and are completed within a defined time and budget.
- Ensure all stakeholders have a clear view of project progress, milestones, budget status, and risks at all times.
- Check in with teammates to ensure they are not over-scheduled on project tasks and have everything they need to do their best work.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with internal team leads on project resourcing, progress, and challenges.
- Lead efficient, inclusive meetings.
- Actively work to identify, reduce, and manage risk on projects.
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of projects, including:
- Allocating appropriate resources.
- Reviewing and updating project schedules.
- Making sure priorities are worked on as identified by clients.
- Maintaining project documentation.
- Establish and nurture positive team and client relationships.
- Occasionally work alongside our business development team to align incoming projects on estimates, scope, schedule, needs, and the team’s capacity.
If you are on the fence about any of the individual job requirements but feel as though you are qualified and would be a good fit for this position, please apply! Willingness to learn, collaborative work style, drive, and core value alignment are much more important to us than checking off boxes. Your application is welcome.
Some Other Important Traits
- Chromatic is a completely distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Candidates are encouraged to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it!
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed; you may work from wherever is best for you. We encourage our team members to work when is most effective for them to do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible workweek schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.
- Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000 USD, commensurate with experience.
Benefits & Perks
- “Endless Summer” Fridays: We take Friday afternoons off all year long for a 36-hour workweek. More on how this began.
- Paid Time Off: Chromatic offers PTO as follows:
- At hire: 15 days (prorated in year one)
- 2 years: 20 days
- 5 years: 22 days
- 7 years: 22 days + Sabbatical (see below)
- 10 years: 25 days
- In addition to these PTO days, Chromatic offers 5 Sick Days per year and additional time off for events such as jury duty, bereavement, parental leave, and paid holidays.
- Holidays: Chromatic is closed on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day
- MLK Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day & Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Sabbaticals: Chromatic offers a 4-week sabbatical to all full-time employees after their seventh anniversary. Our sabbaticals are intended to allow team members extended time to rest both their bodies and their minds away from work and outside of normal vacation/PTO time and are accompanied by a generous sabbatical stipend.
- Parental Leave: Chromatic offers the first two weeks of parental leave at 100% pay, and the next 2 weeks of parental leave at 50% pay.
- Health Insurance: Chromatic provides competitive medical/dental/vision insurance through United Healthcare, covering 100% of the cost for employees and 25% of the cost for dependents.
- Disability Insurance: Chromatic offers both short and long-term disability insurance.
- Life Insurance: All employees are provided with a term life insurance policy.
- 401(k): Chromatic provides employees a 401(k) plan with a 4% employer contribution (no match required) and immediate vesting.
- Donation Matching: Chromatic is proud to offer a Donation Matching Program for our team members. We will match donations to a 501(c)3 organization dollar for dollar, up to $50 per month for a total of $600 annually.
- Hardware: Chromatic encourages our team members to choose the system that they prefer and we ensure everyone has up-to-date equipment/software.
- Book Allowance: Chromatic supports building your skills–and your library–and grants each team member an annual book allowance.
- Conferences: Chromatic frequently sends team members to attend and speak at industry conferences. Employees are encouraged to seek out conference opportunities to grow their skills and personal networks.
- Company Retreat: Once a year, we gather the entire company to spend quality time together away from our desks – usually somewhere quite beautiful.
- National Parks Pass: In between retreats explore your country’s beautiful scenery with a park pass on Chromatic.
- Subscription of Your Choice: Use this perk to sign up for any subscription that works best for you (please, work or wellness related, we’re probably not talking Jam-of-the-Month Club). In addition to Pandora/music, some suggestions may include Headspace, YogaAnytime, Peloton, Apple Fitness, etc.
- Continuing Education Budget: Meant to encourage more courses, webinars, digital summits, and so forth.
- Monthly Lunch Zooms: Enjoy lunch with your co-workers, on us.
- Monthly “No Meeting Days”: Let’s make the most of our protected productive time.
In an effort to remove the mystery around our hiring process, here's what you can generally expect:
- You apply, wahoo! Thank you for taking the time to do that.
- You should receive an autoresponder that your application has been received. (If you don't, you might want to email us at email@example.com to make sure we got it.)
- We'll review your application, portfolio, and video. We aim to do this within one week of receiving it.
- If your skillset, experience and other abilities align with the position and/or Chromatic, we will reach out for an initial meet + greet.
- For technical positions, we may ask for more specific code samples at this point.
- On the meet + greet you'll chat with a member of HR so you can both ask basic questions. This typically takes about 15 minutes.
- Next comes a second interview - we use Zoom and schedule an hour for interviews.
- For technical positions, the second interview is focused on the technical side of things. For other positions, we discuss best practices, methodologies, experience, etc.
- A third interview, including a Chromatic partner, takes place next. We can dive into any remaining questions both parties may have.
- In circumstances where we have several final candidates, a fourth interview may take place.
- At any point in this process, we (or you!) may realize we're not a great fit for each other. If that's the case, we'll try to let you know as soon as possible.
We understand how much time and effort it takes to submit a thorough application, and we truly appreciate it. If, at any time, you're left wondering what stage your application resides, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chromatic strives to create an environment that embraces diversity and welcomes applicants representing all backgrounds. Chromatic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Chromatic is happy to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require any such services, please reach out to email@example.com.